When maximising a small amount of available space for your kitchen, there are some key considerations that your kitchen designer will use to design your new kitchen.
Your designer needs to know how your family use the space - how many people use the kitchen, how often do you cook or entertain, will you need space for dining, and what are your must-haves are some key questions.
Your kitchen designer can then use the information about what your family need from the space, combined with standard design principles for small spaces - and all the great modern kitchen technology now available - to help save space without sacrificing form and function.
Key factors for your design will be;
1. Layout: Consider the layout of your kitchen and how you can make the most of the available space. If you have limited space, a galley or L-shaped layout will optimise bench space and storage.
2. Storage: Maximise storage in your small kitchen by using vertical space with tall cabinets, adding extra shelves or hooks, and utilising modern space savers like internal drawers in both below bench and full height pantry cupboards. A pull out tall pantry can also be great for smaller spaces.
3. Lighting: Lighting can help make a small kitchen feel brighter and more spacious. Consider adding task lighting under cabinets, pendant lights above the sink, or recessed lighting in the ceiling. Also LED lighting above toe kicks can give a lift to the space.
4. Appliances: Choose appliances that are scaled to fit your small kitchen space. Consider compact appliances or ones that can be integrated into cabinetry to save space. Modern combination ovens can be fantastic - ie you could consider a built-in microwave combination oven to save also needing space for a microwave.
5. Materials: When selecting materials for your small kitchen renovation, choose light colors and materials that can help reflect light and make the space feel larger. Also, consider using reflective surfaces such as glossy tile or stainless steel to create the illusion of space.
Overall, careful planning and attention to detail can help you make the most of your small kitchen renovation and create a space that is both functional and beautiful.